United Methodist Historic Sites


A United Methodist Historic Site is a site or structure associated with an event, development,
or personality deemed of strong historical significance.

Applications for historic site status should be presented to the Oklahoma Conference Commission on Archives and History which evaluates the application and, if accepted, presents it to the Annual Conference for approval. Although the (international) General Commission on Archives and History (GCAH) does not approve the designation of historic sites, it does keep a register of them and provides a United Methodist Historic Site marker to be used at the site.

Ready to apply? Use this Historic Site Application Packet
(includes GCAH instructions, OK Conference-specific instructions, and the application form)

Copies of some recent successful applications are provided below as examples.


The United Methodist Historic Sites of the Oklahoma Conference:
Epworth University, Oklahoma City, 2004
Founding Site of First UM Church, Stillwater, 2014. View application.
Boston Avenue UM Church, Tulsa, 2017. View application.
Oklahoma City First UM Church, Oklahoma City, 2017. View application.

NOTE: A reporting discrepancy has prevented Historic Sites approved by the Oklahoma Conference prior to 1968 from being officially registered with the GCAH. Efforts to rectify this are underway.


The United Methodist Historic Sites of the Oklahoma Indian Missionary Conference (OIMC):
Mt. Scott Kiowa UM Church, Lawton
Newtown Indian UM Church, northwest of Okmulgee


Heritage Landmarks
Sites of strong historical significance to the broader United Methodist Church (or its antecedents) generally, are termed UMC Heritage Landmarks and are approved by the GCAH. (Most are designated as Historic Sites by their local conferences first.)

United Methodist Heritage Landmarks in Oklahoma:
Newtown Indian UM Church, northwest of Okmulgee, OK


Links of Interest:
 

Complete list of United Methodist Historic Sites
Complete list of United Methodist Heritage Landmarks
 

 

Making Disciples of Jesus Christ for the Transformation of the World

Contact Us

1501 N.W. 24th St.
Oklahoma City, OK 73106-3635
Phone: 405-530-2000

Sign Up For the Contact

Connect With Us