As of April 1, 2022, the Oklahoma United Methodist Conference ministries have transitioned to using Ministry Safe background checks. This improved platform allows for online training and comprehensive background checks. The program offers 5 levels of checks, of which the conference requires a minimum of a Level 3.
All conference ministry volunteers, whether with Camps & Retreats of VIM Mission will need a level 3 background check with 3 references: 1 pastor/clergy and 2 personal.
Frequently Asked Questions Information for Oklahoma UMC churches
- Ministry Safe FAQ’s from the Oklahoma United Methodist Conference
- Ministry Safe Demo Link
- Ministry Safe Information
- Accessing and Using the Ministry Safe System
Easy Reference Information:
- As of April 1, 2022, the conference ministries will transition to using the Ministry Safe program. While the OKUMC has required background checks and safety training related to our Safe Sanctuary policy, we have never provided an actual training program for volunteers to use.
- All Oklahoma conference churches have an account pre-registered with Ministry Safe. Your username and password will be your GCFA number preceded by 00.
- Oklahoma UMC is covering all training costs. The only charge will be for the background check.
- Background checks must be renewed every two years and you will need to retake the training each time.
- The conference cannot mandate a background check provider. Your church can use this or any other company. However, if your church does not use Ministry Safe, any volunteer at a conference ministry will have to do a second background check to ensure that the conference has the person's background check on file.
The Conference customer service contact is Adriana Trejo, email@example.com, 405.530.2036.