Who are these people?
Oh, the stories they could — and do — tell at the annual retired clergy retreat at Canyon Camp!
BY DAVID SEVERE
The annual Retired Clergy/Spouse Retreat drew 85 people to Canyon Camp in October to fellowship, learn, and play. The retirees, spouses, and those widowed represented all walks of ministry.
They listened as featured speaker Tex Sample challenged them to continue being effective in ministry even when they no longer are classified as "active clergy."
The collective past service of the retreat’s participants totaled more than 1,600 years in ministry.
Among the variety of assignments represented in their attendance were:
• One bishop
• Seven district superintendents
• Four Conference staff leaders
• One university president
• Three university vice-presidents
• Three university professors
• One seminary professor
• Several directors of education/music ministries
• One jurisdictional staff person
• Pastors and spouses, who served in local churches over the past 50-plus years.
Nor have these folks taken to their rocking chairs. Some continue to preach in churches. Others teach weekly Sunday School classes. Some are published authors, including Rev. Dr. Sample, writer of a dozen books.
Many are involved in cross-cultural and ecumenical ministries and serve on agency boards in their communities.
All have remained vital — and all seem delighted to be retired.