Resources and Response to School Violence
We wanted to provide you with some resources and other timely information which might help your churches and leaders process the tragic events in Florida on February 14, and which continue to unfold. Here are a few resources broken into three areas:
For all leaders
· A short video featuring Junius Dotson (General Secretary of Discipleship Ministries) discussing the church’s response to tragedies. This was done just after Hurricane Harvey but it is still relevant. https://blog.umcdiscipleship.org/rev-dotson-live-discipleship-in-the-midst-of-tragedy/
For leaders of children
· Article by Delia Halverson, “How to help children after a crisis.” http://www.ministrymatters.com/all/entry/3465/how-to-help-children-after-a-crisis
· Brochure “Helping Children Cope and Heal.”
For leaders of youth
· Article by Paulo Lopes from Youth Worker’s Collective https://youthworkercollective.com/responding-to-a-school-shooting-three-approaches-for-youth-workers/
· Sunday school curriculum called “LINC” written after a different school shooting but still timely and could be used on Sunday or in other youth group gatherings.
If we can help in other ways, please let us know.
Sarah Malloy Nichols
Office of Young People’s Ministry
Rev. Derrek Belase
Director of Discipleship