OKUMF- How is your Legacy Giving program?
The Oklahoma United Methodist Foundation encourages you to evaluate your legacy giving program on a regular basis. Frequency may depend on where you are in the process, but once the program is up and running, we recommend that you set goals and analyze your progress on an annual basis. The evaluation process should help you fine tune your strategic plan and set goals for the following year.
- Measure your annual growth in terms of:
- new gifts received
- growth of investment income
- new donors identified
- Have you asked donors within the congregation to self identify? Do you know who is planning to remember the church in their will or living trust? Are you regularly reminding members of the congregation to include the church in their estate planning?
- How well have you communicated with the congregation on the benefits of legacy giving?
- What events or educational seminars have been most successful this year?
- Do you have permanent endowments? How has income from the permanent endowments been used to support or enhance the mission and ministry of the church? How well have you reported the disbursements to the congregation?
- How have you thanked and recognized your donors? Do you have a meaningful recognition program in place? Do you have a legacy society?
- Has your core leadership helped promote the program through their example of legacy giving?
- How successfully have you linked the church endowment to the church’s mission and/or long-range vision for ministry?
- Have you recently had someone from the Foundation meet with your church regarding legacy giving?