Oklahoma Conference of the United Methodist Church

OCU- Celebrations to mark Smith Chapel’s 50th anniversary

5/18/2018

three OCU presidents ­— From left are Tom McDaniel, Martha Burger, and Robert Henry. The former, incoming, and outgoing presidents posed at Henry’s retirement celebration April 7 at the OCU School of Law. Board Chairman Ron Norick announced during the evening that the Robert H. Henry Endowed Chair in Humanities and Law will be established. Henry retires on June 30.
Plans are under way for a year of events celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Bishop W. Angie Smith Chapel on the Oklahoma City University campus.

Consecrated on May 9, 1968, Smith Chapel has been the center of religious life at OCU ever since that time.

Designed by renowned architect Pietro Belluschi, with stained glass by Gyorgy Kepes, the 20,000-square-foot structure has been host to the Wimberly School of Religion, Saint Paul School of Theology, and the OCU Wesley Center as well as hundreds of weddings, worship services, lectures, concerts, performances, exhibitions, and church events.

Monthly events are being planned for the 2018-19 academic year and will include a re-dedication service in late August, organ concerts, guest speakers, and other community gatherings. A full list of events and dates will be available online at www.okcu.edu/chapelfifty.

 

Making Disciples of Jesus Christ for the Transformation of the World

Contact Us

1501 N.W. 24th St.
Oklahoma City, OK 73106-3635
Phone: 405-530-2000

Sign Up For Contact Digest

Connect With Us