A campus ministry milestone
The 2013-14 academic year marks the 100th anniversary of the campus ministry movement, as designated in a 2012 General Conference petition.
The first Wesley Foundation was established in 1913 at the University of Illinois. The movement traces its origin to John Wesley’s "holy clubs" at Oxford University. In Oklahoma, the centennial celebration began with birthday cake during the 2013 Annual Conference, served by the Conference Board of Higher Education & Campus Ministry.
Chairperson Diana Cox Crawford wrote in the board’s report: "Within diversified settings — from rural to metropolitan, campuses large and small, commuter campuses and residential universities, two- and four-year learning centers — we reach out."
The board’s goals include increasing ministry to students on campuses without Wesley Foundations.
Toward achieving that, the board awarded grants to four churches in 2012: Alva-First, Gore-First, Edmond Chinese International UMC, and Enid-First. Rev. Crawford stated, "We encourage churches with hearts for mission to college students to apply."