Oklahoma Conference of the United Methodist Church

Copyright licensing requires you to keep records


Churches have several tasks to perform in the coming months to show they are complying with copyright law.

The Oklahoma Conference purchases umbrella copyright coverage for all its church organizations to use the songs and movies that are licensed through two companies: CCLI (Christian Copyright License International) and CVLI (Christian Video License International).

In February, the Conference will renew this annual CCLI/CVLI licensing for churches, agencies, camps, and campus ministries.

Video licensing

Each year, all those Conference entities must update specific information to ensure the correct amount of CVLI coverage. Membership and children’s ministry attendance must be reported.

They must fill out the required CVLI Children’s Ministry part of the Charge Conference forms.

This includes noting total attendance in children’s ministries and the proper names for any Mother’s Day Out and after-school or daycare programs.

Another benefit of the CVLI license is that your group now has free access to the standard ScreenVue package, which allows you to download and use scenes from select major movies and other films.

Not every movie is covered by the CVLI license. To check if a movie can be shown, go to www.cvli.com  and follow the instructions.

Song licensing

Conference organizations must keep records of the songs they have copied or have projected on screens.

A critical part of the CCLI license is to create a "Copy Report." More facts on this:

  • Every 2 ½ years, each entity will be assigned to complete a six-month Copy Report. You will be notified by mail and email before it’s your organization’s time to report.

  • Copy reporting does not affect your group’s license fee.

  • Multiple people from a church or other group may create profiles and sign in to work on the report. They may review others’ work.

  • The most accurate and easiest way to track copies and projections is on a weekly basis. Set aside a few minutes each week for this task.

  • If there is no copy activity to report, sign in at the end of the reporting period and click on the button "Nothing To Report."

  • Copy usage must be reported online. Go to http://support.ccli.com/category/ccl-reporting-online/how-to-report/

The purpose of these reports is so that CCLI accurately pays royalties to songwriters and producers. There are four types of reports explained on the company website. They are: print, digital, recording, and translation.

Church organizations also may invest in three more categories of CCLI licensing: SongSelect, Rehearse, and Stream. If you choose to buy any of these additional licenses, you will receive a separate bill for that. These categories are not part of the Conference coverage. For more information, go to www.ccli.com


Return to contact digest


Making Disciples of Jesus Christ for the Transformation of the World

Contact Us

1501 N.W. 24th St.
Oklahoma City, OK 73106-3635
Phone: 405-530-2000

Sign Up For the Contact

Connect With Us