Each year OCU awards up to three full-tuition Bishop Scholar awards to United Methodist students who plan to study in the Wimberly School of Religion and pursue a career in Christian service in The United Methodist Church.
To be considered, applicants must have that goal and meet the following eligibility requirements.
• Must be a high school senior who is entering OCU as a first-year, full-time student
• Meet the admission standards of the university
• Have at least a 3.0 GPA
• Hold membership in a United Methodist church
• Be recommended by the senior pastor of the student’s church
• Major in one of the degree programs of the Wimberly School of Religion
• Plan to live all four years on campus in university housing
There are two ways to apply for the Bishop Scholar award: a senior pastor can nominate a student or a student can apply directly.
To begin the process, students or pastors should go to www.okcu.edu/BishopScholar and follow the online instructions. Application and all supporting paperwork are due by Feb. 1.
Applicants are interviewed in February and notified shortly thereafter. Students who are interviewed but not selected as Bishop Scholars often are awarded scholarships that cover between 60 and 80 percent of tuition.
Return to contact digest
This fall OCU welcomed five new religion majors. From left are Jay Williams of Wewoka, Laley Braucher of Claremore, KC Curry of Owasso, Bethany Stanley of Houston, and John Vick of Inola.