Through April, these are the Oklahoma Volunteers In Mission teams currently registered with the Office of Mission.
• Cartagena, Colombia; Feb. 19-27; leader Bill Fish
• Rio Bravo, Mexico; Feb. 21-27; leader Bill Wentroth
• Vietnam; March 9-20; leader Randy Shrauner
• Roatan, Honduras; March 14-21; OKC-St. Luke’s Church
• Belize City, Belize; March 14-22; Broken Arrow-First UMC
• Delta Grace Ministries, Sunflower, Miss.; March 14-20, Cookson UMC
• Port Isabel, Texas; March 14-22; leader Mike Terwilliger
• Dallas, Texas; March 14-20, leader Elizabeth Horton-Ware
• Denver, Colo.; March 14-19; leader Chris Hopper
• Belmopan, Belize; March 15-22; OKC-Chapel Hill Church
• Big Creek Mission, Bear Branch, Ky.; March 15-21; Tulsa-New Haven Church
• Tulsa, Okla.; March 15-18; leader Hal Hamilton
• Waslala, Nicaragua; April 17-25; leader Paula Watkins
(To learn more about VIM, contact Lori Foster, Lfoster@okumc.org.)
Return to contact digest
GETTING SCHOOLED IN CONSTRUCTION —
Seven people volunteered during Winter Break for Oklahoma City University to help at a Methodist school in Burrell Boom, Belize. Principal Evangelina Waight wrote, "We have been striving to complete three classrooms to be able to properly house our students. Therefore your contribution was a big help. May God continue to richly bless your endeavours."
Charles Neff, dean of the chapel at OCU, described the mission. "We worked five and one-half days constructing a cinder-block railing for the second story, as well as playing with kids at the school. We all returned to the States enriched by our experience." He plans mission opportunities with other UM campus ministries during Spring Break. OCU students who served in Belize were Olivia Coil, Madeline Boehlke, Sylvia Hayes, Beatrize Martinez, and Emily Kersten, along with parent Steve Hayes and Rev. Dr. Neff. Missionary Lisa Williams shared, "Burrell Boom holds a very special place in our hearts, and I am sure yours, too, now. Thanks for heeding the call to come to Belize and be the hands and feet of Christ."