Preparing for Annual Conference
Ten pre-conference meetings will help delegates learn about proposed financial changes and constitutional amendments before they vote at the 2013 Oklahoma Annual Conference.
Details of those proposals and other pending action will be explained by Conference leaders at the special meetings.
In calendar order, the meeting schedule follows.
- April 14 (Sunday), Clinton/Lawton Districts, 3 p.m. at Anadarko-First UMC
- April 27 (Saturday), Ardmore District, 10 a.m. at Ada-First UMC
- April 27 (Saturday), McAlester District, 1:30 p.m. at McAlester-First UMC
- April 28 (Sunday), Enid District, 3 p.m. at Enid-First UMC
- April 30 (Tuesday), Stillwater District, 7 p.m. at Stillwater-First UMC
- May 4 (Saturday), Woodward District, 10 a.m. in Fairview UMC at Slapout
- May 5 (Sunday), Tulsa/Bartlesville Districts, 2:30 p.m. at Owasso-First UMC
- May 7 (Tuesday), Muskogee District, 7 p.m. at Muskogee-First UMC
- May 9 (Thursday), North and South OKC Districts, 7 p.m. at Chapel Hill UMC
Conference begins Monday evening
In a shift of schedule, the 2013 Annual Conference will begin Monday evening, with the Memorial Service/Holy Communion, and conclude Thursday afternoon.
Dates are May 27-30. OKC-St. Luke’s UMC and Oklahoma City University will host. The agenda planning team changed the schedule in response to survey results from past conferences, explained Conference Secretary Joseph Harris.
Call to early-morning worship
Dedicate time each morning of that week to pray for the Oklahoma Conference, urged Janice Sharp, who leads the worship planning.
"We need that," said Rev. Sharp. "What is more important?"
At the meeting, delegates can take part in two early-morning worship services, in the Smith Chapel at OCU. At 7:30 a.m. Wednesday and Thursday, a devotional and Communion will be offered.
Welcome, Africa University Choir!
The Africa University Choir will travel across an ocean to minister as featured musicians for Annual Conference.
These college students hope also to sing and speak at area churches during the 10 days they will be in Oklahoma. To extend an invitation, contact Rev. Sharp, 580-628-2224, email@example.com.
The AU Choir is making a return appearance at Oklahoma’s conference. In 2007, the young musicians’ joy repeatedly drew delegates and Bishop Hayes to their feet.
Located in Zimbabwe, Africa University is the only United Methodist center for higher education center on that continent. Enrollment is about 1,200 students. UM Apportionment giving undergirds this ministry.