The first year of the All-Star Church mission awards program is nearing its conclusion. Now is the time to review and complete your church’s efforts to qualify for this honor.
Missional criteria must be met during the calendar year 2010. Award applications must be postmarked by Jan. 31.
The Oklahoma Conference’s Mission and Service Ministry Team has designed this series of recognitions/awards to recognize second-mile support of UM ministries beyond the walls of your church. The program requires full support of the Conference and District Apportionments to qualify for "stars" at any level.
Conference Recognition is given to a church that achieves a minimum of three stars. Conference Awards are given to churches that achieve five stars or more. Stellar Churches excel in missions by earning 10 or more stars in a year, and they receive special honors.
As the program continues, Gold Star Churches will be honored for four or more consecutive years of achieving at least five stars annually.
Here is a general outline of the criteria. For specifics, follow the "Resources" link at www.okumg.org.
- Star One: Support a missionary assigned through the General Board of Global Ministries (GBGM).
- Star Two: Involve your church in one or more local-area service projects or short-term mission projects. These can be Oklahoma VIM projects.
- Star Three: Support all six of the denomination’s Special Sunday offerings.
- Complete Stars One through Three.
- Star Four: Support at least one Conference, General Church, or UMCOR Advance. (Note: "One Great Hour of Sharing" does not apply here.)
5-star Recognition and Award
- Complete Stars One through Four.
- Star Five: Establish a Covenant Relationship with a GBGM missionary.
After completing Stars One through Five, a church may add stars to its total by choosing from additional criteria. Karen Distefano of Bartlesville is Conference Mission Secretary. Contact her at: email@example.com, 918-336-0351.